Thursday, December 18, 2014

Book Review: Exposed by Jessica Love

Exposed

“Exposed” is a short, erotic suspense novel. After her husband suggests visiting a club where public sex and the erotic are common, Jessica explores sex with strangers in sex clubs where menage and other erotica taboos are acceptable behavior.
But there is more to Jessica than just sex. After she defends in court a girl accused of importing drugs, Jessica becomes the target of someone who wants her dead.
Eventually, the themes of this contemporary suspense, romance and sex novel come together when Jessica learns who she really is, finds her attackers and gets her revenge. “Exposed” describes how Jessica became the directing force of her own life, how she leaves condemnation behind, and separates sex and romance.
In her own words:
"You don't think we've met? We have, more than once. I sat next to you once at the airport, and you asked me what time it was. I hoped you wanted to strike up a conversation. We sat at tables next to each other at that coffee shop on the corner, where the atmosphere and coffee both have character.
Remember when I caught you staring at me when I came out of the court house? Or was it the exquisite old building where I practice law? You were embarrassed, but I didn’t mind at all. In fact, you made me smile.
Maybe we met at one of the “special clubs” I enjoy in Seattle, or Portland, or Vancouver or San Francisco, Denver or Las Vegas. You know, clubs where clothing is optional and anything goes, with friends or with strangers. I admit I like that, but “no” always means “NO.”

I’ve been told I am as cold as the antarctic, or as hot as a black sand beach in the Caribbean; it’s said I am either indifferent, or too passionately engaged. These are labels and don’t really matter to me any more. I’ve been called a slut, a force, a lawyer, a nymphomaniac. You decide which one was the insult if you'd like, I don’t really care.
This book is about who I am and why I’m that way. I describe a few events in a story you will think explains everything. It does not, but will give you an idea of how I grew up, how I discovered sex, what I like about men and what I don’t, how close I came to being murdered and how that led to my discovery of who I really am.
Sometimes, when explanations fail, story is all we have. And though my story may be very different from yours, you and I are very much alike in that place where we hide our desire."


1-Click on Amazon  Exposed (Exposed Series Book 1)

Exposed is written as a autobiography of a woman who must find her place.  It's not a love story but a story of discovery and acceptance. 

"I'm writing this because I've been asked so often why I'm not married, why I do what I do, how I started and what does it "mean" even though that last question is pretty meaningless." 
  
Jessica Love, our protagonist and narrator, begins her story with early life events. In high school she learns an unfortunate lesson and her grandmother is there to provide solace. We are introduced to the reoccurring phrase that shaped who Jessica would become.

"Everything passes, everything weary, everything breaks.." 

Jessica shares two experiences that give us a glimpse of what makes her tick. What some may say are her perversions. 

Jessica graduates college as a lawyer and marries Mark who is also a lawyer.  They seem to marry because it was expected of them and not because they truly love each other.  Their lives became routine. Mark suggests a club that caters to different sexual proclivities.  They attend and enjoy the exhibitionism.  Soon they take it a step further that initiates the destruction of their marriage. Jessica's eventually moves on with her life to only find her freedom being taken from her. Although, Jessica gives us hints of possible future events I continue to be surprised when they occur.  I feel for Jessica and her plight to find her place.  When in France she meets her great uncle and aunt who furnish her with the ending of the phrase that has shaped her life.

"Everything passes, everything weary, everything breaks everything must find its place."
  
Jessica returns home and moves forward to take back her life. In the end Jessica Love explains that some may judge her but she has simply made different decision.  

Jessica is a strong character that has to learn to accept herself. She has different tastes and finds herself taking on the world from an early age. From the beginning she attends high school and college parties allowing herself sexual gratification that many find taboo, labeling her as a slut. She deviates temporarily when she marries however that does not last long. Her proclivities are used against her and inadvertently take away her freedom.  In the end she finds herself with her grandmother's help.  Her grandmother early on makes a statement that sums up Jessica's challenges, "These Americans, obsessed by what they fear, fearing their own obsessions,". I enjoyed that this is not a love story, it's an exploration and acceptance of a different lifestyle.  




No comments:

Post a Comment