Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Book Review: Midnight Blue by L.J. Shen

36376514

It should have been easy.
I needed the money. He needed a babysitter to keep him from snorting himself to death.
I was cherry-picked especially for him. Responsible. Optimistic. Warm. Innocent.
The worst part is that I should have known better.
Alex Winslow. British rock star. Serial heartbreaker. Casanova with whiskey eyes.
“Don’t get near the devil in a leather jacket. He’ll chew you up and spit you out.”
Guess what? I didn’t listen.
I signed the contract.
World tour. Three months. Four Continents. One hundred shows.
My name is Indigo Bellamy, and I sold my soul to a tattooed god.
Problem was, my soul wasn’t enough for Alex Winslow. He ended up taking my body, too.
Then he took my heart.
Then he took my all.






This book has All The Feels. Midnight Blue is an intense love story of a damaged rocker and his muse. The friction, the pain and the tragic heartbreak destroyed me.  L.J. Shen knows how to crawl under my skin and weave her words right through my heart. 

British singer Alex Winslow is out of rehab and heading on a three month tour to revitalize his career after his last album bombed. Indigo (Indie) Bellamy has been hired to babysit Alex. Her job is to keep him away from alcohol and drugs, keep him healthy and alive for three months. It's a huge challenge but Indie needs the money.  Her family needs money.  Indie's brother dropped out of college when their parents were killed. Now he's struggling to find work  and to stay sober.  His son needs tubes for his ears. Indie can't afford to walk away no matter heartbreak may be on the horizon.

Alex does not want a babysitter.  He's managed to scare away his previous babysitters but Indie is much more of a challenge. She has no problem speaking her mind. 

"My Alex. My little prince. My fallen star in the dark, dark skies." 

Alex is self-destructive. He's an addict and feels undeserving.  He's lost his girlfriend to his ex-friend and he wants her back. When we first meet Alex, he appears selfish, self-centered and egotistical.  As the story progressives we get to meet the real Alex, broken and alone.  He struggles with his addiction, moving from drugs and alcohol to Indie. Indie keeps him sober and alive.  More alive than he's ever felt. 

Alex and Indie's relationship is tumultuous.  Indie sticks out the worst to discover there is so much more to Alex. He's a wounded soul. Alex finds his muse in Indie. The angst revs up when a twist is revealed and my world stopped. I swear this book sent me spinning. 

I love the tears I shed for Midnight Blue. The story pulls on your heartstrings. It's worth the ride. 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment