Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Book Review: Scoundrels & Scotch by Alta Hensley

Scoundrels & Scotch (Top Shelf #3)

I’ll stop at nothing to own her.

I’m a collector of dolls.
All kinds of dolls.

So beautiful and sexy, they become my art.
So perfect and flawless, my art galleries are flooded by the wealthy to gaze upon my possessions with envy.
So fragile and delicate, I keep them tucked away for safety.
The dark and torrid tales of Drayton’s Dolls run rampant through the rich and famous, and all but a few are true.
Normally I share my dolls for others to play with or watch on display.

But not my special doll.
No, not her.
Ivy is the most precious doll of all.
She’s mine. All mine.


Scoundrels & Scotch is a quick, dark and taboo romance. The story was slightly different than I expected after reading the blurb. It's not as sinister as the blurb lets on, dark taboo category is a better fit.

Victor Drayton is an artist. He's most famous for his use of human dolls in his art pieces. His performance art doll exhibits spotlight the taboo and the kinky.

Ivy Adams has just lost her job because of her battle to drown out chaos in her body. She's the soul supporter for her sister and father so when she's offered a job to become a Drayton Doll she ignores all the warning bells and accepts.

Ivy is moved into the Dollhouse and jumps right into training. This is where the story moves into the freaky deaky and my interest peaks! The dolls are well trained in preforming the taboo. During Ivy's first performance Victor realizes that he can't share Ivy with the world. She is his and he makes plans on keeping off the kinky stage.  There are others interested in getting their hands on the dolls and their intentions are far from good.

I enjoyed the story however I would have loved more character depth. Victor is a very interesting character. He's an artist with a passion for the taboo. He's domineering but there's more there. I wanted to know more about Ivy, what makes her tick. Ugh! I really got into the characters and wanted more. This is the first book I've read in this series and plan on going back to read the first two. The author peaked my interest. 4 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment