Monday, August 21, 2017

Book Review: Mercy by Debra Anastasia

Mercy
He taught me to kill. Murder is in my blood now. It runs through my veins and though I hide the monster I see in the mirror with ink, it doesn’t keep him from coming out.

My street name is Mercy, but I never show any. Except for her. I watch Becca, though she doesn’t know. She saved me a long time ago; the day my father killed my mother. Her bravery turned her into a target.

My father holds a grudge and knife with the same proficiency, and Becca is the focus of his hatred. And I’m the only monster who can save her.






Mercy was a mixed bag of emotions. After reading the blurb I expected a dark story but I got was a mix of  humor, compassion, turmoil along with the dark & dangerous hero. 

Rebecca (Becca) Stiles was a  tough kid, learning to fight her fears. When she saw a young boy being man handled by his father, she stood up to him and tried to protect him.

Fenix, (Nix) Churchkey, aka Mercy, has made it his mission to keep Becca safe. He hides in the shadows watching over her. It was Becca who stood up to his father when they were children and gave him hope. Now he will do anything to protect her from his father's wrath. 
  
Nix is broken and just a wee bit crazy. He tattooed a skeleton from head to toe on his body.  He rather look like a monster than see his father's reflection in the mirror. His father who had killed his mother. 

Nix has an opportunity to meet Becca in person when her job has an off season Day of the Dead
party. He is already in the perfect costume. He never planned on meeting Becca but his close friend and ally, Animal pushes him to go and find his woman. Sparks ignite between Becca and Nix. Even skeletons need love. However Nix has many, many secrets that almost cost him Becca in the end. 

Nix is not only dark & dangerous but he's also stalky, crazy and romantic. It's an unusual mix but the author nails it. Becca is his perfect match. The story had it's dark elements but there was also humor and romance. I  can't wait for Animal's story. He is an intriguing character. 5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment