Thursday, May 18, 2017

Book Review: Curveball by Mariah Dietz

Curveball
Shakespeare believed there was always humor in tragedy and tragedy in humor.

My life proved his theory as fact.

At eighteen I was a single parent moving to this small town to be with the man I loved. The one who was supposed to love and cherish me in return.

Finding out he had a wife was tragic.
Remaining in love with him in spite of her was more tragic.
My mom and best friend setting me up on a long string of blind dates was an ongoing tragedy.

Nine years later, I’ve learned to see the humor in most situations.

My mom and best friend setting me up on disastrous blind dates.
My son’s jokes.
The fire alarm going off each time I cook.

My constant bright spot always adding to the humor was my son, Hayden. But when Hayden had a life-threatening allergic reaction, the man who came to help my little boy became my own savior. His laugh, his smile, and the way his eyes lit up when he spoke to my son made him a beacon of light in both our lives.

But I wasn’t the only one who noticed him.
When I began having feelings for the man my best and only friend had fallen for, I knew following my heart would once again lead to a fresh round of heartbreak.

Love led me to this town.
Lies kept me there.

Would history repeat itself?

Or had life just thrown me another Curveball?


Curveball is an emotional story about lies, deceit and new beginnings.  Its a slow paced story, picking up half way through.

Nine years ago Ella Chapman moved with her son so he could be closer to his father. After she moved she discovered that he was already married. Now she lives in a town that has turned against her. A town where rumors about Ella continue to be spread. It's been nine years and it's time for Ella to date again. Ella's mother and best friend have been setting her up on blind dates that only add to Ella's blacklist, no vets, no firefighters, etc. 

Coen Deluca, neighborhood firefighter, has a rule about not dating neighbors after a past incident with girl who lived just a block away. Things change when he meets Ella and her son Hayden. He wants into their lives. He'll go as slow as she needs. He's willing to break the rules for Ella. 

Rachel is Ella's best and only friend since moving to the new town. Rachel is also interested in Coen and tries her hardest to catch his attention. Ella doesn't want to hurt Rachel but as it turns out Rachel has her own destructive secrets. 

Ella is neurotic, anxious and has OCD tendencies. She's every mom. I loved her fierce protectiveness. Ella had been manipulated into a corner. Her relationship with Coen began to unravel the truth and betrayals. I felt that Ella lacked strength because it was circumstances that delivered the truth.  I wanted her battle for herself. Ella could have gone for the gusto but let circumstance have the final say in the end. 3 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment