Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Book Review: The Pawn by Skye Warren

The Pawn (Revenge and Seduction, #1)
The price of survival…

Gabriel Miller swept into my life like a storm. He tore down my father with cold retribution, leaving him penniless in a hospital bed. I quit my private all-girl’s college to take care of the only family I have left.

There’s one way to save our house, one thing I have left of value.

My virginity.

A forbidden auction…

Gabriel appears at every turn. He seems to take pleasure in watching me fall. Other times he’s the only kindness in a brutal underworld.

Except he's playing a deeper game than I know. Every move brings us together, every secret rips us apart. And when the final piece is played, only one of us can be left standing.


The Pawn is overwhelmingly one of my favorite books of the year and it's not over. The story is very well written and masterfully draws your focus away from the final move. There's plenty of twists, turns and intense moments that lead to surprising revelations. The ending left me gutted. 

Avery James life changed the day her father was convicted. They quickly lost everything. After the conviction her father was viciously beaten leaving him bedridden. Avery has been taking care of her father but they are running out of money fast. She decides to ask for a loan but instead is offered the opportunity to be the prize at a forbidden auction. Having no other reasonable options Avery choose to sell her virginity to the highest bidder.

"You're innocent. And I'm going to ruin you."

Gabriel Miller had been one of Avery's father's victims and the person to turn him in to the authorities. He's also the person who not only suggested the virginity auction but also the winning bidder. Now Avery is in debt to Gabriel for a month. Their relationship is intense. It's a well calculated game of chess with every move carefully selected. Gabriel makes his intentions clear, although he and Avery seem to be developing a connection. The ending threw me for a loop. The heartache, the betrayal and the lose is intense. Ugh! So many questions left to be answered. So my stalking of Skye Warren begins. Love this book! 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment