Friday, June 24, 2016

Review: A Beautiful Sin by Terri E. Laine and A.M. Hargrove

A Beautiful Sin
Since I was a boy, my desire was to marry the church. To give my vows and life over to God despite the corruption in my soul.

I am a sinner, the embodiment of temptation, or so I’ve been told.

Yet, I’ve never touched, never kissed, never sought the company of another until her.

She is my weakness, my salvation, my downfall and my freedom. Our sins are bound tighter than fate.

My name is Canaan. I am an ordained Roman Catholic priest, forever and always.

Her name is Haven. She may be my destiny, my destruction.

This is not a love story, but rather a confession of all my sins.


Do not judge this story based on it's blurb. Yes, there is a love story involved but it's not the focus. The characters both return home, back to confront the demons of their past. Honestly, I had to stop reading at one point to take a breather. Their stories are emotionally draining. The love story provided the HEA that was much needed after the painful revelations of their past.  

Haven's newly found success has brought her back home to Chicago. In returning home she faces her past while trying to protect her aunt. Haven at one time had tried to seek help with her situation when she was younger. She went to a church but was turned away. Her anger still lingers and now fifteen years after the incident she returns to the church and thrashes out at the alter boy, now Priest, who sent her back to the house of hell. 

Canaan has been selected to become the associate Pastor of his childhood church. "Holy Cross was a place I vowed to never to return to and hadn't."  When he returns home he not only has to face his own demons but soon discovers he also will need to face the demons of others from his past. Canaan's internal struggle with self blame only grows until he finds his safe haven.

The story is deep, the characters struggle with their internal demons from their past. The first half is heartbreaking, my soul ached for Canaan and Haven. They find themselves unexpectedly returning home and having to face their demons. Each has to find the strength to release their own pain. It's together they discover it's possible. 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment