Thursday, February 5, 2015

*****5 Star Review***** Desolate by Ker Dukey

Desolate (Empathy, #2)

Eighteen years of being in a psyche ward; I was released into the world. Things have changed, Blake is married to Melody and is a father to my new fixation, Cereus. My beautiful niece who knows nothing of my existence. When consequences of past sins begin playing tricks on me, old cravings demand to be satisfied.

There is no cure for my kind of sickness.

I am void of everything but obsession.
I can’t love,
I can’t feel,
I am Desolate.













Review

 
I would like to start this review with the best warning I’ve read to date, “If sensitive to graphic violence and mastermind f*ckery, this title is not for you so please don’t read.”  With that warning I jumped right in and enjoyed the ride.

It has been 18 years since Ryan has been place in a psyche ward. Blake and Melody are happily married with a daughter, Cereus.  Blake had come to the realization that his brother can’t be fixed because there is nothing to fix inside. “The Doctors all believed he was fixable but I can’t believe he is. Someone who was never broken can’t be fixed.” Although Ryan is desolate, Blake has found his saving grace, Melody. “Mel was my redemption; she taught me how to live again. My dark side lingers but I have enough light in my life now that the dark remains as shadows.”

Ryan had manipulated his Doctor, Dr. Leighton, into believing he’s cured. Blake disagrees but it's not his decision. “Your brother wasn’t sentenced to prison though, Mr. Braxton. He was diagnosed with an illness that has since been treated and cured to such a degree that he no longer poses a risk to the public or himself.” He was soon set free and only required to stay in a halfway house for three months.

Ryan does a great job manipulating others and hiding the from the truth. “I’m not sick and I’m not broken. I’m desolate, born empty lacking a soul. You can’t fix what was never broken.”  As soon as he’s freed and enters the group home he begins seek out his next prey.

Blake doesn’t tell his family that Ryan has been set free.  His daughter, Cereus, doesn’t know that Ryan exists. Hiding the truth begins to take a toll on his relationship with Melody. Melody is already having a difficult time with Cereus. They have been at odds. Hiding the information from Melody provides Ryan with an opportunity. Ryan befriends Cereus and finds that she is a part of him, she understands him what no one else has. Cereus is so much like Ryan except she has feeling, she loves her parents. Ryan considers love a flaw.

Ryan’s Doctor, Dr. Leighton had a heart ache and died. Ryan is assigned a new therapist, Jenna Jarvis. During their first meeting Ryan reveals his true lack of emotions. After a death at the half way house Jenna requests to meet with Ryan, trying to determine if he may have caused the death. It first appears that Jenna is concerned with Ryan’s release.

The story unravels after murders begin to occur. Ryan finds himself unsure what role he has in a murder. As other murders occur, Blake’s investigation leads him to a new suspect and discovers that Ryan is also in danger. Melody discovers Ryan has been released and has befriended her daughter. She tells her daughter the truth about her uncle. Cereus goes to Ryan and he admits the truth to her. He reveals that he feels a connection with her and she feels the same. The ending is a wild ride.

‘Desolate’ is a dark, dangerous wild ride! It’s been 18 years since Empathy took place. Blake has let the light over take his darkness.  He’s happily married to Melody and has a daughter. Ryan has been in an psyche ward and is being released because he has manipulated his Doctor. Ryan has no soul, he’s desolate. He’s one scary, manipulative, anti-hero. Cereus is an interesting character, she's is like Ryan except she has feelings that keep her out of the shadows.  Ryan, if he knows it or not, has developed feelings for her. This is truly a dark tale that keeps you turning the pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment