Friday, July 7, 2017

Book Review: The King by Skye Warren

The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
The highest stakes...

My father gambles every night, falling deeper and deeper into debt. When he hits the bottom, he places a new bet: his daughter. I'm his entry bet to the biggest underground poker game.

Every kind of danger circles the velvet-covered table, but only one man makes me tremble.

A trailer park princess.

The son of a criminal king.

We don't belong together, but I'm caught in a twisted game.

His eyes meet mine with dark promise. And when he puts down his cards, I know I'm going to lose more than my body. I'm going to lose everything.



What can I say? I caved in! The King is part one of the Masterpiece Duet. I was going to wait until The Queen, part two, was released before reading the series because I knew that the cliff hanger would hurt. I was right! The cliff hanger was oh so painful. Skye Warren knows how to leave you hanging, waiting, stalking, hoping for a nibble of what's to come. Now I impatiently wait.




The King is Damon and Penny's story. We previously met them in the Endgame Series (The Pawn, The Knight and The Castle). The story is intense! It's dark, dangerous, and damaged. It's every thing and more. I loved the Endgame Series but Damon takes it to the next level.

"Because Damon Scott traded himself for me. He's the only reason I'm safe. And I'm the reason he's not."

Damon and Penny have a dark and dangerous connection. It's Damon who sacrificed himself in order save Penny. His sacrifice doesn't go unnoticed. It's years later Penny finds herself paying for father's misdeeds and punished for her connection to Damon.

Damon had been hanging on by a thread to the boy he once was but now his need for revenge has completed journey to the dark side.

The ending leaves us at the card table once again, gambling and risk. Now we wait for the move in The Queen. 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment