Thursday, February 2, 2017

Book Review: A Touch Of Lust by Michelle Horst

A Touch Of Lust

MILA

The way of the commune is the only way I know. Born into sin, I have to repent daily.

If we follow the laws of the Brothers, our sins will be forgiven, and they will take us with them to The Promised Land. All I have been taught is that I’m bad, shameful and a whore.

But, in the deepest part of my heart I can’t help but wonder about life. Is the way of The Order really the only way?
I listen to the teachings. I watch my sisters as they dutifully do what they’re told.
With every passing day I can feel my faith slipping away. How can I believe in something that feels so wrong? I feel like an outsider.

I feel like I don’t belong anywhere until I meet Liam. The first man to show me what love is turns out to be just like the rest of them.

I’m done putting my faith in men. I’ll save myself.

LIAM

Cults - I have this intense hunger for revenge against them.
Because of them, my sister took her own life.

Instead of getting my revenge, I get Mila. She changes things. But when I begin to unravel the secrets of her past that revenge comes back. I can’t forgive her for belonging to a cult. I blame her.

There’s only one problem, somehow that love I felt for her is coming back and my hate is turning to lust.

In the end I’m the one who needs saving.




A Touch Of Lust starts off intriguing. Two individuals, two different cult experiences with the same outcome, they both escaped. Albeit in different fashions but never the less they are no longer part of the cult. Now that they are living freely their past continues to haunt them. A Touch Of Lust is two stories in one but I didn't feel either story was fully delivered. It fringed between a second chance love story and a personal mission.

Liam Wright's mother had joined a cult. His parents had shared custody and he and his sister had to stay with his mother every other week. When Liam turned sixteen he no longer had to visit his mother but he continued because his sister was still under age. His world shattered when his baby sister took her own life. He blamed himself for not keeping her safe.

Mila Jameson grew up in a cult. When it was proclaimed it was her time to marry, Mila ran. She was well aware of how the married women of the cult were treated and wanted out. She was helped by an outsider escape and start a new secretive life.

Liam is in love with Mila at first sight. Two years after they first met Liam finally takes a chance and goes after her. Mila doesn't want Liam to get hurt and pushes him away. She reveals that she must return to the cult but with no further explanation. Liam explodes at the thought and leaves. Three years later, after Liam returns from college, they are brought together as Mila's past rears it's ugly head. Mila can no longer hide the truth about her mission to save her younger sister.

Over all I enjoyed the story but I wanted more. There are relationship gaps and I think the bonds could have been better developed. It's a second chance love story with plenty of heart and soul. 4 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment