Saturday, August 13, 2016

Review: Pretty When You Cry by Skye Warren

Pretty When You Cry (Stripped, #3)
I came from a place of dirt floors and holy scriptures. They told me the world outside was full of sin, and the first night I escape, I find out it’s true. Ivan saves me, but he does more than that. He takes me. He makes me his own girl.

My conditioning runs too deep. Ivan sees what I am.

That’s the thing about showing a mouse to a cat. He wants to play. And it’s terrifying, even for me. Because the only thing darker than my past is his.








I'm a huge fan of dark romances and I was excited to read Skye Warren's Stripped Series. Pretty When You Cry is the third in the series and came highly recommended. There is a definitely a dark story about two people who come from brutal worlds.

Candy has escaped from a religious cult with her mother's assistance. She was raised in the cult that brainwashed their members and took away their freedom. Candy had captured Leader Allen's eye and without her mother's help she may have ended up his next sexual exploit. 

Candy's Mother giver her money to escape. Candy goes as far as she can go and ends up in not the best part of town. When confronted by men who do not have to best of intentions its Ivan who comes to her rescue.

Ivan's first intention is to send Candy back home but he changes his mind and she ends up in his care. Three years later Ivan still continues to keep Candy safe including from himself. Ivan had a horrific childhood and it's able to give Candy the affection she's craving.
  
Candy wants more and pushes Ivan. Ivan is a dominant in every way and easily falls into the Daddy/little lifestyle. Ivan gravitates to the Daddy position because he has the need to provide safety and disciple. It's his kink and he's found someone who understands him. Candy struggles with being treated like a little girl because she feels trapped again, she left one controlling life for another. Candy has to decide if she can accept Ivan for his preferences. Ivan has to decide if he take the next step with Candy. When Candy's dark past rears it's ugly head and the truth is discovered it only gives Candy greater cause to find her own independence. The story moves quickly and there are scenes that maybe uncomfortable for some. I like the dark grittiness and the relationship that evolved. 4 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment