Monday, January 25, 2016

Review: Xavier Cold (Hard Knocks, #2) by Michelle A. Valentine

Xavier Cold (Hard Knocks, #2)

The conclusion to the New York Times bestselling romance that began in Phenomenal X, about one woman’s pulse-pounding relationship with a notorious bad-boy wrestler.

“What’ll it be, Anna Cortez? Are you in, or are you out?”
One momentary loss of control has now ruined everything Xavier Cold had going for himself. With his world unraveling fast, he’s willing to do anything to save not only his job but his relationship with the only woman he’s ever loved.

Anna Cortez, still reeling from shock, tries desperately to save the man that’s consumed her heart, body and soul. She’ll have to dig deep and find courage she never knew she possessed to help Xavier fight demons from his past—a past that’s even more haunted than she ever

imagined.



I'm on the fence with this review.  Xavier Cold is no longer who I expected. He's no longer the Alpha man I thought he was in Phenomenal X, instead he's now the confused, lost, self-loathing, scripted wrestler. He's still jealous and has a temper but he's lost his Alpha status. He still defends Anna but his self-loathing has him running at the same time. Once I was able to move past the Xavier of old and accept the new Xavier the I began to enjoy the story.

Xavier Cold is filled with angst, doubt and twist and turns. Xavier comes clean about his tortured past. It's heart breaking and explains his self doubt. He continues to feel that he's not good enough for Anna.

"I'm not good enough for her, and it was selfish of me ever to believe that I could keep someone as loyal and loving as her to myself. 
          I am a fuck-up. 
          I am evil.
I don't deserve her goodness, no matter how badly I crave it." 

He's broken and Anna is his savior. Anna comes into her own. She's strong and is forced to make difficult decisions. She sticks to her guns. The story flows smoothly however there is a lot of drama, between Tension (the pro-wrestling company) and Xavier's old criminal gang, the story keeps you on you toes. The ending was a total surprise. Although Xavier takes on a different persona in my opinion, he still a fighter and wins in the end. 4 Stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment