Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Review: Forbidden by C.D. Reiss

Forbidden (Songs of Perdition, #1-3)

Everything about Fiona is forbidden.

She’s a party girl with dark desires.
She’s beautiful, irresponsible, irresistible.

She’s my patient.
I’m her therapist.

I’m past past wanting her. Past possessing her. Past bedding her or protecting her.

I’m willing to be self-destructive, negligent, brave, audacious, and stronger than I ever believed possible.

She’s blunt force trauma to the heart.
And she calls another man Master.
-----

This book contains Kick, Use, and Break from the Perdition Series. It is the ENTIRE STORY with a complete beginning, middle and end.
If you read Kick and Use, Break is easily found in the table of contents, and it's a full length novel.



I never once needed a beer while reading until I read Break. Fiona's internal battle and angst overwhelmed me.  It's as if I was having a religious experience. Fiona changes in Break, she moves from the dark into the light, putting a name to her addiction.

Break is the final chapter in the Perdition Series. Forbidden contains all three stories in the series. Having already read Kick and Use I couldn't wait for Break. 

"Isn't it funny....technically I could always do whatever I wanted, but I think now I really can. And it's scary."

Fiona's life was altered after an incident that occurred her last day at Westonwood. After the incident she changed and no longer wants her old life. Deacon, on the other hand, is not ready to let her go. Fiona struggle with her loyalty to Deacon while wanting to move on with her life. 

Elliot reappears and continues as Fiona's psychiatrist. He's unable to walk away, unable to resist and willing to give up his career for Fiona. Elliot wasn't living until Fiona, she was worth the risk. 

The story comes to a head when Fiona reveals the truth about her stay at Westonwood. Deacon and Elliot face off but it's Fiona who makes the her choice. In the end it takes the village to get justice for Fiona. 

Fiona's internal struggle, her battle to find her worthiness, her protectiveness makes her human. A far cry from the job she decreed to be her own. "This is all I had to do. Party, be seen partying, get photographed between parties." CD Reiss is an amazing writer. Her stories flow without meandering, they stay on course and funnel us through rough waters until we settle at delta ready to be released. 5 Forbidden Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment